[geeks] SUSE (7.1) question...

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Sat May 11 11:37:46 CDT 2002

> Does anybody else have problems with it changing the time during a
> reboot?  I've got the timezone set correctly and do not have GMT set but
> it seems to change about 5 hours back if I reboot the box.  I know it's

I had the same problem with my laptop.  Make sure the hardware clock and
the software clocks agree to both time and timezone.  If not, the
software clock will reset itself to the hardware time every reboot.
Having different timezones also can make it act funny.  Also, there's an
issue with telling SuSE that the hardware clock is set to local time - I
don't recall the 'correct' way to make it behave...hold on...looking...

First, enter the BIOS setup (I'm assuming intel platform) and set your
hardware correctly, and set your timezone to the local timezone.

Then boot into SuSE and start Yast2 (or Yast, or edit the config files)
and make sure your timezone is set correctly, then tell SuSE that the
hardware clock is set to "local time".

That should fix it, at least that's how mine is configured...
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com
Editor: "We need a new food critic, someone who doesn't immediately
poo-poo everything he eats."
Homer: "Naw, that usually takes a few hours."