wordy authors (was: Re: [geeks] okay. )

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Sat May 11 11:37:31 CDT 2002

Hmm, if you really want to get into wordy authors try pretty much anything
French or Russian. Balzac, Rabelaise, Voltaire, Dostoyovsky, Tolstoy

Or pretty much anything written by the so called Beat, hipster, and hippy
generations (Foucault with the double curse of being french and a hipster is
a prime example along with Ken Kesey, Tom Wolfe, Hunter S. Thompson et al).

Or how about William Faulkner, Truman Capote, or F. Scott Fitzgerald. Any of
them could take three pages to describe a womans hair. Hell Fitzgerald spent
over a page describing a lawn.

Or what about Stephen King, who though his vocabulary is plain spends a lot
of time using it. He has this tendency to say the same thing ten different
ways in as short a time as possible.

Of course all of the Americans wrote in english (admittedly often drug
addled english) which is far less suitable for extremely wordy discourse
(though I seem to do a pretty good job of it). German, now German is a wordy
language. If I read in german I bet I coulod find authors that put these
folks to shame.

Chris Byrne