[geeks] Interactive serial terminal programs

William S. wstan at xs4all.nl
Sat May 11 02:33:06 CDT 2002

First of all, I have next to no experience in doing
what you want to do nor with what I am suggesting.

In my case, I just installed MySQL on OpenBSD3.1
which was very easy to do via the ports tree. MySQL
has quite a bit of documentation and a detailed tutorial
accessed via 'info'. I am just looking it over a bit now.
I have managed to figure out how to set up a table
and use the 'admin' account and 'user' account(s).

In terms of a front end or way to get info entered into
a table I used a Client side script know as "mysqlimport"
where the data was entered into the table through a
tab delimited text file I made. You can probably standardize
this action by setting up a .txt form page with various
fields of information. This page could be filled in via
"vi" (maybe too intense for the general user) and then
run through awk or sed to render this as a tab/comma
delimited file. Once there, use the mysqlimport script.
To get it into the table.
(There is a 'mysqldump' script to extract data from a table
too).

Having said that, I can see the 'info' documentation has
reference to the following 'MySQL API's':

PHP Api
Perl API
C API (most extensively covered 'cause the MySQL team developed it.
Java
Python
Tcl

On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 08:50:03PM -0400, James Sharp wrote:
> So I'm going to be writing a rather large application for my fire department...including dispatch, training records, fire incident records and equipment maintenance.

<snip>

--
Bill
Amsterdam, NL