[geeks] Off-road trucks (was F*n sweet car..)

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Fri May 10 21:46:59 CDT 2002

> > I'm debating putting a set of 4.56 gears in my Ram, but to do so I need
> > a new diff carrier.  4.10s might be better, and they fit the stock diffs
> > (Chrysler 9.25 rear, Dana 40 front).  But, with a 318, I'm really gonna
> > need a supercharger to turn 42" tires - even with low diff gears.
>
> yeah, the main problem with that big rubber is getting it to go around.  does
> the 318 have all sorts of goofy electronic shit on it, or is it nice and simple?
> it's easy to put a supercharger on an older simple engine.  these new fangled
> things suck ass.  that's a tough choice though as to what gears to choose.

Simple - the Magnum engines (318, 360) are based on the LA block from
years ago - same displacement, same inner workings - pushrod, single
cam, etc.  Minor upgrades to increase reliability and output, but still
very much the same as the 318 that I had in my '73 Satelite.  There's
electronics in there, it is ODB-II compliant, and it has a PCM, so it's
not like it's all old - but the basic design is nice and easy.

Putting a supercharger on it is as easy as pie.  Vortech makes a kit
that bolts right on, really very easy to do, and it adds about 30% to
the output with no tuning or exhaust work.  Minor tuning can make it do
%50, and if you know what you're doing you can make it do close to 80%.
But that gets expensive, and a that point you really want a CTD anyway
:)

> > I just went through Dodge's website and did the "build your Ram"
> > configurator - I built a really nice 2500.
> > Must...find...work....getting...itchy......
>
> turbo-diesel is your friend.  if i ever blow the engine in the X (i hope i
> don't) i'd like to replace it with a TD. ;)

I would *love* to see a TD in an X - that would ROCK!

--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com
Editor: "We need a new food critic, someone who doesn't immediately
poo-poo everything he eats."
Homer: "Naw, that usually takes a few hours."