[geeks] Interactive serial terminal programs

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Fri May 10 21:40:54 CDT 2002

[ On Friday, May 10, 2002 at 20:50:03 (-0400), James Sharp wrote: ]
> Subject: [geeks] Interactive serial terminal programs
>
> Any other ideas or suggestions?  Preferably something Open
> Source...I'm running on a limited budget here.

For starters I'd just forget about fancy screen interfaces and keep it
simple -- more simple than even a web front-end driven by
lynx/links/etc.  Keep everything simple and straight forward and write
in the language you're most fluent in.  Just write prompts out, read
lines of input typed by the user, and display

Of course you can do an enormous amount of useful programming in
something like python or ruby and you can get a decent character
interface all at the same time (for example there's are several
different text mode user interface toolkits, even one written directly
in Ruby itself called JTTui, as well as others that are essentially Ruby
bindings for C libraries such as ncurses).  Using Python or Ruby also
gives you quick and easy access to a good SQL-based database backend
such as PostgreSQL.

--
								Greg A. Woods