[geeks] Desktops

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu May 9 22:46:46 CDT 2002

On Thu, 9 May 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> Win3.1 came out in '93 a few months before NT, so you have to be refering
> to 3.0, or else it was less than a decade.

1992, 23 months after 3.0.  3.1 turned a decade old last month.  You're
confusing Windows 3.1 with Windows for Workgroups 3.1, which came out two
months before Windows NT 3.1.

> I think we need something like Access.  A library for databases in a file
> that supports SQL, a gui builder, and simple tools to tie them together.
> But, it would probably work pretty well to just added it as a subset of
> one of the hypercard esque projects out there.

Access would be fine if it supported a sane dialect of SQL.  For a while I
used it for prototyping things before moving them to Microsoft SQL.  This
was back when I was a ColdFusion jockey at the Data Applications Center
at Rice.

Access would be greatly improved by putting a SQL command-line somewhere.
Sometimes I -know- what I want, and I don't want to spend an hour
clickety-clicking around the menus to find out how to do it.

--Jonathan