[geeks] Desktops

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu May 9 22:29:29 CDT 2002

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 11:13:38PM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 11:20:07PM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > with multi head support (ideally slides would be operated by a second
> > person, so he needs a head, and the project is a head, and the speaker
> > has two preview screens, the current slide, and the next one).  A simple
> > Onyx, Crimson, or quad headed G200 should do the job nicely.
>
> WAY overkill dude.  a dual headed sparc1 would do fine.  for slides, you really
> don't *NEED* more than 8-bit color, and displaying static 2D images is FAR
> from being grapchically intense.

You don't need more than 8bit color, but it sure is nice, especially if you
want to insert photos and rendering output.  Really, true color just makes
life easier since you can grab elements from lots of places without having
to transform them to a set pallete.

Further, the graphics system needs to be able to run at a high resolution,
and blit a new image to the display without flicker or tearing.  I've seen no
evidence to suggest that any of the common sbus video adapters can pull that
off.

--
Joshua D. Boyd

Social Security - I have greater faith that Elvis is alive
and programming VAX assembler than that I will ever receive
a dime from it.  --  Patrick Giagnocavo