[geeks] Desktops

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu May 9 20:25:37 CDT 2002

On Thu, 9 May 2002, Peter L. Wargo wrote:

> > Work:
>
> A Sunray on my desk connected to a 24-proc 24G E6500. (CDE)

Is it possible to do actual work on those?  I saw them everywhere when I
visited the San Diego campus (even the security desks had them.  When they
came out, Sun made it sound like they ran special software, kinda like
Java applets, with all the processing done on the server.  That made it
seem a little less than useful for anything other than custom applications
written inhouse.

Are you set up to use it as a plain-vanilla XTerm with session-management
on the smartcard, or is there some magic going on here that I'm missing?

--Jonathan