[geeks] Desktops

Mike Hebel nimitz at owc.net
Thu May 9 20:06:34 CDT 2002

Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 07:16:19PM -0500, Mike Hebel wrote:
>
> > Since it's a serial printer I might have to think on that.  ttyb on the
> > NetBSD box may just do the trick but I'll have to play with it.  I have
> > a spare IPC somewhere and I dos have Solaris drivers for the printer.
>
> If it were really a postscript printer, it wouldn't need special solaris or
> netbsd drivers.

It's an old Dataproducts laser (lzr1580) - what I meant was that I have
the original driver disks that are designed to integrate with Solaris.
However, you are very correct in the fact that it doesn't really need
any drivers - my only concern is if it matters network wise if it's a
serial printer or not.  I have seen notes that there are some issues
with that on 'nix systems.

I honestly could run it on a Mac since it has a localtalk port on it and
then maybe connect to it with AppleTalk from the Intel server since
NetBSD 68k is known to be buggy on any of the LC040 model Macs I happen
to have around here.

Mike Hebel