[geeks] Jobhunt frustration

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu May 9 15:32:08 CDT 2002

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 01:28:23PM -0700, Fogg, James wrote:
> ~ We've all been here... I am so considering finding a job description I
> ~ really like and know I can do and just lying my way in...
>
> I learned awhile ago that every Catbert-Evil-HR-Director EXPECTS a resume to
> be 10%~20% horseshit. These are real numbers and they really do think this
> way. If you are totally honest in a resume you start out 20% behind an
> otherwise equal candidate before your resume is even read.

<snip admin/engineering advice>

<snip training advice>

<snip buzzwords advice>

<snip successwords>

This isn't exactly real world experience, but I've been pretty good at getting
high paying (for students that is) jobs with a resume that doesn't bend,
stretch, or otherwise manipulate the truth.

I also note that all jobs I've had, the HR department had next to nothing to
do with hiring me.

Perhaps things are wildly different in TRW.

--
Joshua D. Boyd

Social Security - I have greater faith that Elvis is alive
and programming VAX assembler than that I will ever receive
a dime from it.  --  Patrick Giagnocavo