[geeks] FW: boats

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Thu May 9 05:48:04 CDT 2002

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 08:41:33AM +0200, William S. wrote:
> Here is Amsterdam there are several "functional"
> houseboats (converted barges) that people live aboard.

There's plenty in the canals and minor tributaries around the Thames too.
Port authority rules say that for people to live on them, they must be
seaworthy.  The test of seaworthiness is that once a year they must make
a voyage out to sea.  The sea is, apparently, defined as starting at the
Thames flood barrier.  On calm summer days there's always a parade of
bizarre boats, many of them *tiny*, heading down-river, poking their bows
beyond the barrier and immediately high-tailing it back up-river.

I considered buying one a few years ago.

--
Lord Protector David Cantrell     |     http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

Us Germans take our humour very seriously
  -- German cultural attache talking to the Today Programme,
     about the German supposed lack of a sense of humour, 29 Aug 2001