[geeks] Highly competent free renderer

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu May 9 00:32:02 CDT 2002

I just came across this:
http://renderedrealities.net/portfolio/renderbitch.html

This is a rendering engine that supports most of the things on my must have
list.  Motion blur is easy to post process (using temporal anti-aliasing).
I'm not sure if depth of field is supported.  It does support rgbe images,
which is way cool.  Still trying to find what surface types supported.

On the downside, this is completely incompatible with everything else, so
time to brush up on your favorite scripting language to write file
converters.

Also, it is apparently going to require work to make it work on linux.  I'm
flipping through the source code now, and a few things jump out.  It is pretty
cleanly written C++.  So, adding new object types should be easy.  Further,
it looks like it wouldn't be too hard to integrate python or guile into it
so that object types are shaders could be written in them.

Heck, this is extremely readable code.  I'm psyched.

--
Joshua D. Boyd

Social Security - I have greater faith that Elvis is alive
and programming VAX assembler than that I will ever receive
a dime from it.  --  Patrick Giagnocavo