[geeks] Update... ohh the humanity...:-)

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Wed May 8 22:50:50 CDT 2002

I got my GeForce 2MX 400 64MB that my girlfriend ordered for the dual
PPro yesterday and installed it today... Now the seesaw has tipped the
wrong direction...  The original Riva TNT 1 (16MB) made Wolfenstein
playable but occasionally jerky at low 640x480 detail with bilinear
(muddy graphics)... so I bought the OS X version and finished the game
on the G3/400 Rage 128 (16MB)... appreciable speed at 640x480 32 bit
with moderate to high quality textures... still bilinear.  On the TNT1,
the high settings resulted in movement of the mouse, pause... sound
stutter, pause jerky frame shift pause.... weapon echo... pause...

Now with the new card I can play fluidly at the highest graphic settings
using 800x600... The CPU isn't a bottleneck at all.  I noticed the
slightest pause with lots of enemies in outdoor areas... but it was a
split second lag... even side-stepping among a lot of enemies...liquid
smooth.... needless to say she's happy with the way Baldur's gate and
Diablo have improved as well... So now I am pining to replace the card
in my G3... I can't have the game box be better than my favorite
workstation...(and a feecee no less... even though it is the best of the
feecees... Dual Pro 200 1MB)

What would people recommend (thanks for previous recs folks) for the
G3/400 Blue and white... what I need is double game performance... works
in OS X, and works with the software DVD player in OS X.  I was thinking
I'd just go with the same card in the Mac (GeForce 2MX)... or perhaps
something better... Are the Radeons better in the Macs?  I only have PCI
here as well unfortunately.