[geeks] FW: boats

Rick Hamell hamellr at heorot.1nova.com
Wed May 8 20:28:18 CDT 2002

> I heard a reference on the radio this morning to someone in Providence
> aquiring a russian sub & working on turning it into some sort of
> museum.
>
> I can't imagine this happening without generating lots of press in
> geek circles, so has anyone in southern new england heard anything
> about this?

	I first saw that about 3-4 years ago. Unluckily I don't remeber
the name or the website. I'm glad to see they got it though, at that time
they were still trying to come up with the $$$ to save it from the scrap
yard.

	 But, local to me http://www.omsi.edu has the USS Blue Fish, it
was the last non-nuclear sub built and in service for the US Navy. It was
also used in Hunt For Red October. (But they called it the Dallas. :))
It's really cool to go through, they also operate a Ham radio station out
the old comm room on board. :)

	Rick