[geeks] I'm so tempted.

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Tue May 7 18:07:13 CDT 2002

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Ryn wrote:

> Does it hurt? How often do you cut your scalp? I am on the
> road to head shaving. Curious what I need to look out for ;)

Well, let's see:

It can hurt if your razor sucks or gets dull.  Then you cut your scalp or
you get a rash.

I shave every other day in the shower.  I've been doing it for years, so
it takes me only a few minutes.

I suggest the gilette mac 3 razor for starters.  A good gel-based shaving
cream works well, as does astroglide. (no kidding!)

Get someone (a barber or someone you trust) to shave your head for you
first with an electric clipper and the blade set to 1.  (If they are good,
they can do it on 0).

Then, get in the shower, rinse, lather up, and shave.  I do the front
first, then the back, then the sides, running my hand against the grain to
check as I go.  I also cheat a bit - since I use an electric for my chin,
I shave around my ears with the electric.  It's faster, and I tend to
forget some spots otherwise.

It'll take a bit to get used to, and if you don't have skin like mine you
may burn easily.  You head will take a while to get used to it.  Of
course, once you do you never go back.

IF you haven't seen a pic of my head, you can catch it at:
http://www.peterwargo.com

-Pete