[geeks] Geeking out with LaTeX

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue May 7 11:47:27 CDT 2002

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 11:44:55PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> Hopefully, the end result will be something that's generically useful for
> other people who find themselves with this particular pile of legal cruft
> to sift through.  If not, it'll lessen the chance of an error introduced
> by inconsistency.
>
> I suppose the ultimate in utility would come from putting together a
> unified front-end (either web- or email-driven) to collect all the data
> and return an archive containing all the pdf files.  Hmm... this sounds
> like a dot-bomb idea!  www.legalforms-while-u-wait.com!

I think www.legalforms-while-u-wait.com would be a legal problem waiting to
happen.  You might try selling this package your put together to lawyers, but
most of them probably have essentially the same thing done in Wordperfect
macros at this point.  Still, might be doable.  I hear that once you get a
foot in the door, custom programming for lawyers can be lucrative, somewhat
easy, and fun(if you like that sort of work).  Lots of opportunities for
knowledge management stuff too, presumably, in mining past legal precedents,
reasoning, etc.  See Philip Greenspun's work in the area (which is difficult
since his site is down, but assuming the thesis were published at MIT, might
still be findable).

--
Joshua D. Boyd