[geeks] Help... Pipe rescue

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Tue May 7 08:24:25 CDT 2002

I did one of those semi-bone-headed things last night, and I've got
candle wax stuck in the drain.

Being an ex-chemist, I've tried everything I can think of that I had in
the house at the time separated by healthy quantities of boiling water.
The first clog was in the sink, but I managed to plunger it through to a
spot between the bathtub and "out of the house"... so when Filling the
kitchen sink, it runs into the bathtub...

What has been tried

Boiling water

Boiling water with baking soda

Ammonia

Drain cleaner (NaOH)

Kereosene

Lighter Fluid

Goof Off

Pine Sol (off-brand actually)

None of these did I suspect would work... ideally the kereosene would
work, but it's too greasy...

What I need is a nice 4L bottle of Acetone... can't get that one.

I was going to try:

H2SO4 Drain Cleaner

Turpentine

or any strongly polar hydrophilic organic solvent....

Has anyone had a similar clog and gotten it out... I'm trying to avoid
either a plumber's visit or a messy turn at the pipes myself.

Andrew