[geeks] snatching defeat fro the jaws of victory

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon May 6 15:04:29 CDT 2002

~ -----Original Message-----
~ From: Chris Byrne [mailto:chris at chrisbyrne.com]

~ but the company that takes the cake
~ has got to be
~ Xerox.
~
~ Think about it. Here's a partial list of the things that Xerox (mostly
~ through PARC) either flat out invented, productized, or at
~ least brought to
~ usefulness but failed to capitalize on.

I do suspect that Xerox brass did understand what was invented, they just
didn't know why a photocopier company would be better at computers than the
likes of IBM. I think that thinking led to self doubt. In other words, if a
couple of jerks like us can invent ethernet/etc., what good can it be. If it
was any good, someone would have already invented it.

Xerox did understand the power of computers. They sold bunches of 820 series
and other systems (I had several 820's through the years, nice boxes). They
relied on other peoples O/S's (a lot of CPM), outside hardware manufacturers
and stuff.

>From a vendor relationship I had with Xerox labs in NY I got the feeling
that they were afraid to unleash their geeks. They definately had good geeks
in the 80's. It is an extremely big deal for a company to embark on a
product line far removed from their bread and butter. I think they were
scared.

So, what were they left with? Worn out patents in a highly competitive
market that is loaded with foreign competition. Thats a tough place to be.
The only thing left for them is the high ground (the best machines, but with
high prices). I wish them luck.