[geeks] Hmmmm fattening

David Passmore dpassmor at sneakers.org
Sat May 4 15:32:33 CDT 2002

On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 08:14:21PM +0100, Chris Byrne wrote:
> I disagree. the real wayy to go is with the dove 289 or one of the keth
> blacks. the 351 Windosr is still a cast iron truck engine (really, it's
> literally a truck engine)

351W = taller deck version of the 302
302 = longer bore version of the 289

The 351W, like the other Windsors was designed for high RPMs in small to
mid-size cars.

As for where you're getting 'truck engine'... man, I have no idea. You may
be thinking of the 351M. /All/ stock Windsor blocks are cast iron. If you
have hood clearance for the taller 351W (and I know that most, if not all of
the Cobra kits do), I can't think of a single reason to go with a 289 unless
you have one freshly rebuilt on-hand (like me... waiting to go in my '64 1/2
Mustang when I have a spare weekend). Or maybe the availability of parts for
the 289/302, but you have just about as much flexibility with the 351W. The
351W is just a better engine, with a higher power/weight ratio and better
capability as a stroker engine.

As for forged aluminum blocks... yeah, that would be nice. But not all of us
are made of money. :)

David

PS: I also have a complete 260 out of a 65 Fairlane in need of rebuilding...
I am not likely to do anything with this engine. If anyone in the DC area
has some use for it, I would like to see it go to a good home.