[geeks] Hmmmm fattening

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Sat May 4 15:15:27 CDT 2002

Most bacon in america is hickory smoked streaky bacon, which is sliced very
thinly, and cut narrow across the fattiest part of the meat. Rasher style
bacon is a full cut about 3 inches wide and 1/4" or thicker. It isnt as
fatty and has much more meat. Also it isnt generally wood smoked (unless
specified) and its not as salty as american bacon.

There are probably 40-50 different varieties (flavors, cuts, etc...) of
bacon commonly on sale here in Ireland. back in the states you usually see
two or three at most.

That being said, my favorite bacon is still hickory smoked streaky bacon,
but the stuff they sell here is WAY better than american standard bacon.

Chris Byrne