[geeks] 32 Gig 1.6" SCA drives......

R. Lonstein rlonstein at pobox.com
Sat May 4 09:23:47 CDT 2002

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 03:03:50PM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
    [snip]
> converting a wav to 1200kb mp3, and then convert back to
> wav. Now compare the two wavs. That was mp3 with no
> actual compression, but I think that it still not the
> same output.
    [snip]

That is the point of the encoding. That's why they refer to a
"psycho-acoustic model" (don't ask me). Information is thrown away
during the encoding process and can be lost during the decoding- I use
the libmad library (http://www.mars.org/home/rob/proj/mpeg/) which seems
to sound better- so the waveform is not going to look like the original.
The point is whether or not you can tell the difference by listening.

Read the articles on http://www.r3mix.net/ for more on this.

For what it's worth, I encode my own mp3's using lame -r3mix -b 128 and
they sound great. I've been trying the Ogg Vorbis encoding but haven't
done enough side by side by side (cd/mp3/ogg) listening to note a
difference.

- Ross