[geeks] thoughts.

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Sat May 4 01:52:36 CDT 2002

<snip>

> Uhm, No.  That's the fastest SuperSPARC, though (AFAIK).  The 150MHz
> HyperSPARCs (with .5MB of cache) should also work, though you'll be
> pushing it on cooling with them.

Sorry I should have sad the fastest Sun OEM modules. THat's what I meant.

> > 2. Which would be faster for a good mix of multi threaded
> applications, dual
> > SM81 (2 procs total) or dual SM520 (4 procs total)?
>
> Probably the SM81s.  The spec numbers might be worth looking at, though
> I don't have any links handy (google turns them up eventually).

Yeah I couldnt find any numbers that looked meaningful in terms of realworld
comparisons,  but the raw spec numbers for dual SM520 are about the same as
dual SM81.

So really it comes down to three things. 1. 4 meg cache total vs 2 meg cache
total 2. architecture differences between SuperSPARC1 and 2 and 3. How
efficiently 4 procs are used vs 2.

Does anyone know of any realworld performance comparisons?

> > 6. Would one of the clones (say an axil s/420) have good enough, or be
> > easily moddable to provide enough cooling for the quad 200mhz?
>
> A clone?!?  Shame on you!  :-)  I have no idea.

Oh yeah I much prefer the original sun boxes myself, and I have LOTS of
experience in modding machines, I was jsut wondering if any of the clones
actually had  good cooling, Fomr what I can see they're all pretty
melteriffic, though not as much as the SS10 would be (what was Sun thinking
cramming things in that tightly with that little airflow).

Chris Byrne