[geeks] One of the things I love about America

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Fri May 3 19:45:34 CDT 2002

> And that is exactly what the teachers unions should be doing.  Not informing
> public policy on education.  I think that moves like encouraging laws that
> make life harder for private schools, homeschoolers, or requiring things like
> every teacher be certified in every subject they teach (which the way the
> bill was written would have killed a lot of private schools in PA, thankfully
> it was defeated) is served by trying to increase the amount of jobs available
> for teachers, thus making them more valuable, rather than concern for students
> like they claim.

Why not?  Should some Harvard professor who never spent a day in a high school
or elementary classroom make policy?  A politician?  A parent (most who use school
as a tax-paid day care for older kids)?  Sounds like you don't want teachers to
have a say in what happens in their own jobs.  I hope not.
What's wrong with some kind of certification?  Do you want your child taught by
somone who doesn't know s about the subject they are teaching?  I guess so.
BTW, I have no problem with home schooling.  In NJ they have some type of certification
necessary...not as tough as mine.  (My cert is for any science K-12 since I have a degree
in bio, minor in chem and graduate credits in physics, chem and geology.)