mp3 (was: Re: [geeks] 32 Gig 1.6" SCA drives......)

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Fri May 3 14:59:36 CDT 2002

[ On Friday, May 3, 2002 at 09:14:27 (-0400), alex j avriette wrote: ]
> Subject: mp3 (was: Re: [geeks] 32 Gig 1.6" SCA drives......)
>
> Hey, I get a lot of crap about having a lot of mp3's. Im positively a
> music fiend, and I need a lot of it.

There's a huge difference between a "music fiend" and an "audiophile".

The latter only demands superior sound reproduction and will often
listen to the same few recordings over and over.....

>  I notice it on my expensive headphones at work,
> but I'm not convinced I wouldnt notice it with oggs either. If youre
> proposing I store my music as flac or wav files, youre just insane.

All you need is a bunch of ~120gb drives (say seven), with at least six
ATA controllers, and then you can build a RAIDframe RAID-5 level array
with a hot-swap spare that'll have both the capacity and the speed for
raw WAV or AIFF files!  ;-)

--
								Greg A. Woods