[geeks] 32 Gig 1.6" SCA drives......

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri May 3 13:52:47 CDT 2002

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 07:40:47PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 12:17:00AM -0400, Sridhar the POWERful wrote:
>
> > I have MP3's that don't have a measurable difference from the original.
>
> Methinks you mean an audible difference.  If you look at the resulting
> wave-forms, I assure you it'd be a very measurable difference :-)
>
> I encode MP3s at 192kbps.  That, to me, is not audibly different from the
> original CD when played through the tiny speakers that came with my Cube.

I listen to music commonly through a few sources.  I have a pair of radio
shack wrap around the back of the head headphones.  I've never tried
listening to MP3s through these.  These are usually connected to either my
work notebook, or my portable CD player.  Very durable in my experience so
far.  Sound decent, but lack bass.

I also have a pair of radio shack enclosed ear headphones.  They are hooked
to a Turtle Beach sound card.  They sound pretty good.  One can hear the
difference between MP3s and DAE playing CDs in FreeAmp.

I also use a more or less generic pair of flat speakers on my sisters
computer.  One cannot tell the difference between audio CD and MP3 on this,
but either way it just sounds bad.  Not as bad as the tiny labtecs she used
to have though.

I also use a pair of Altec Lansing speakers hooked to a SB Live card.  Hear
one can particularly sense the difference between MP3s (up to 256k at least)
versus CDs or FLAC files.  CDs are played via a direct digital audio
connection between the DVD-Rom (a Ricoh, and absolutely hideous brand to be
avoided) and sound card.

I tried to play MP3s on my Apex DVD player, connected to a 70s stereo
connected to a set of Sony surround speakers (two surround speakers, and a
combined signal being fed to a center chanel speaker, also from Sony).  But,
I couldn't convince the unit to play MP3s.  CDs sound decent.  I'd like to
get better speakers and a seperate DAC here though.

--
Joshua D. Boyd