storage concerns (was: Re: [geeks] 32 Gig 1.6" SCA drives......)

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Thu May 2 22:09:28 CDT 2002

>> Hmmmm.. My new box, wyrm, has 1x 6gb, and 1x 40gb. The rundown of
>> network storage:
>
> <impressive storage and nifty hostnames snipped>

im glad you think my hostnames are nifty :-)

> Just one question:  How do you back that up?

Well the mp3's are simple. I own the CD's. Its just far more convenient
to have the music in mp3 format.

The work database, when spat out as raw sql, actually gzips down to
about 100mb, so I keep a "spare" copy on my ipod.

video is tough, and i really hope that none of my disks go abruptly.

as far as source trees, these i have backed up through redundancy. i
have a mirror at work and two of my boxes here mirror eachother. my own
personal source is less than a gig, and i keep tarballs in various
places. the other ones (openbsd tree, linux kernel tree, various
projects, an apple tree) are all available elsewhere should something
bad happen.

alex