storage concerns (was: Re: [geeks] 32 Gig 1.6" SCA drives......)

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Thu May 2 19:21:04 CDT 2002

>> You use what you can afford :(
>
> How much space do you really need though?  Most people don't really
> need so
> much that a few 4 or 9 gig drives wouldn't do the job.

Hmmmm.. My new box, wyrm, has 1x 6gb, and 1x 40gb. The rundown of
network storage:

satan: 75gb
envy: 20gb
scorch: 20gb
wyrm: 46gb
creamy: 6gb
plucky: 6gb

(in two weeks:)
lust: 18gb
greed: 18gb

173gb, and I am chronically out of space. My solution is to buy 8x 100gb
IDE drive and stick them into wyrm.
consumers of disk space:

irc bot database: 6gb
development xml database for work: 6gb
mp3s: 40gb
video: 20gb
source trees: 12gb (spread out over a couple machines)

I think those are reasonable uses of space, and thats 84gb. "a few 4 or
9 gig drives" doesnt cut it, and hasnt cut it (for me) for years.

the next bottleneck i am starting to see here at home is that when i
need to move data around, i have a shortage of bandwidth. i'm looking
into GigE, but the switches are expensive. a SAN might be a more
practical idea, but is not very economical.

sridhar, you may NOT contribute to this thread, terabyteboy....

alex