[geeks] One of the things I love about America

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu May 2 16:19:45 CDT 2002

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 11:09:50AM -0700, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> I think raising teacher salaries is exactly the way to go.  At my high
> school, there were exactly three really smart teachers, a dozen or so
> that had a brain, and the rest (50 or so) who were nice people, but
> couldn't find a coherent sentence with two hands.  Teaching misses out
> on attracting some of the best and the brightest because everybody knows
> that teachers don't get paid.  If we made a big deal about all teachers
> getting six figure (starting) salaries, starting in, say, 10 years, I'll
> bet you that we'd have a whole bunch more DAMN smart people getting
> their teaching degrees in 10 years, and the trend would continue from
> there.  Of course, this is just my pet theory, and I have nothing to
> back it up.

Just like we don't need people teaching because it was the easiest degree to
get, we don't need people doing it just for the money.

But, in many places teachers are paid well, after they put in a few years. One
teacher I was talking to expects to be making close to $100k in 5 years or so
(this is after several decades of service).  That is in New York (or was it
Jersey right next to New York).

--
Joshua D. Boyd