[geeks] 32 Gig 1.6" SCA drives......

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Thu May 2 15:22:06 CDT 2002

Nah it's from experience counting the brands that came in dead when I
worked for two years in retail service.  Most likely to fail was roughly
like this from least to most:

Quantum (SCSI), IBM (SCSI), Compaq (SCSI), WDigital (SCSI),
Seagate(SCSI), Fujitsu (SCSI), Maxtor (SCSI), Conner(SCSI), Micropolis
(SCSI), Quantum (IDE except BigFoots), Seagate (IDE), WestDigital(IDE),
IBM (IDE), Fujitsu (IDE), Hitachi (IDE), Toshiba (IDE), Maxtor(IDE),
Conner (IDE)

 From about 1998-2001... going from machines purchased in 1989-2001.

Most drives under 1GB seemed to fail rarely.

Troublesome drives usually were 1-10GB in size and IDE.  WDC's in iMacs
were particularly flakey.

Andrew