[geeks] One of the things I love about America

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Thu May 2 14:15:03 CDT 2002

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Chris Byrne wrote:

> The alaska pipeline actually increased populations of caribou, eagles, small
> mammals, and the birds that feed on them, I see no problem with drilling in
> 1% of the ANWR if it's handled properly. Tis is good for us because it means
> we need 5-7% less oil from Saudi Arabia. You know the oil that we went to
> war over in 1991.

Bullshit.  The drilling in '1%' of ANWR is bogus math.  That's like saying
my office only takes up 15 square feet because that's all that's touching
the floor.  The '1%' doesn't count the roads and infrastructure to make
the drilling possible.

And how about instead of drilling on ANWR, we just pass better emissions
standards for vehicles?  How about we implement standards for SUVs?  These
will save a lot more than  that 5-7% (and that 5-7% is overly optimistic,
that's 10 years down the road and even then is a best case scenario).

The reason why ANWR drilling is wanted is because it'll make more money
for the domestic oil companies.  That's it.  It won't signigificantly
lessen our dependance on foreign oil.  It's not that much oil anyway.

> War on drugs is bad. Its that simple. It is in all ways and forms bad. It
> must be stopped. It was quite possibly the most damaging long term policy of
> the first Bush administration.

I love the whole "If you bur drugs, you're supporting terrorism" bullshit.

Because all that OIL we buy... none of THAT money is going right to the
terrorists.  And there's a LOT more money flowing for oil than drugs.

--Kurt