[geeks] Rant: Network "Industry Leaders" That Don't.

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed May 1 17:41:17 CDT 2002

On Wed, 1 May 2002, Kris Kirby wrote:

> No. You can force the AP (access point / Lucent box) to run in Bridge mode
> and get away from that NAT problem. Then you can run straight IP over the
> link and NAT on your side on *all* IPs.

That's my end goal.  The problem is that the current wiring job prohibits
that, as the router cannot be where the AP is now (no air conditioning),
the AP cannot be where the router is now (no tower), and the only link
between the two is one 100baseFX connection.

I "solved" the problem by NATing around the two networks that need
bidirectional communication.  It's ugly, but it'll work until we pull
those two extra fibre strands and get things divided up like they ought to
be.

--Jonathan