[geeks] One of the things I love about America

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Wed May 1 17:07:35 CDT 2002

Im in a very difficult situation myself. I am a dual citizen of Ireland and
the United states. I am also a commicssioned officer in the United States
Air Force.

As an officer there are four things related to my dual citizenship that I
cannot do if I wish to retain my commission. I cannot engage in beligerance
toward the united states. I cannot serve as an officer in the armed forces
of a foriegn power (though I can have my US rank recognized and be given
command of foriegn troops), I cannot vote in foriegn elections or
referendums, and I cannot hold elected or appointed public office or serve
as a public oficial.

I used to be that if you ever claimed benefits of dual citizenship you
automatically lost your commission but that is no longer true. The Clinton
administration relaxed the rules.

There was recently a referendum, thankfully defeated, on adding a
constitutional ammendment against prefroming or recieving all forms of
abortion aunder any circumstances, as well as aiding, abetting,
transporting, or providing any information related to recieving or
preforming any abortion. They specified a mandatory penalty of 12 years in
prison and a 12k fine.

I of course was unable to vote.

There is a general election coming up in the next few weeks here in Ireland.
During this general election there will most likely be a significant
recomposition of the government here whcih will do... absolutely nothing.
Bertie Ahearn will reamain Taosiach, Fianna Fail will remain in power (as it
has almost exclusivley since 1949) and basically nothing will change.

Once again, I will be unable to vote.

Im extremely frustrated at this situation, but theres nothing I cna do about
it until my 8 year commitment to the reserves expires this september. It's
one thing to not want to participate, to not be allowed is another thing
entirely.

Chris Byrne