[geeks] Rant: Network "Industry Leaders" That Don't.

Ethan telmnstr at 757.org
Wed May 1 16:27:17 CDT 2002

> Actually, we've had a "who is a phone geek" thread before. Some of us
> (myself included) run key-systems/hybrids/pbx's at home. I have a wide
> assortment of Iwatsu ZTD stuff at home.

We were running both a Comdial and a Merlin Legend, but now are only
Merlin Legend. :-) The Comdial was reliable, the Merlin Legend has had
some wierd problems. The phones would all kind of lock up, where the
buttons don't work -- but you can answer on them. If you unplug a phone
for about 5 days it would work for 1 more day (the buttons). I recabled
things around the house and swapped all the phones out and haven't had the
problem since... but I still would like to know why that happened.

I'd have a definity G3 if I could find one cheap enough.

A DMS100 to switch a single residential house. That would be funny.

I'm actually looking to buy a 2nd CPU carrier and power supply for the
merlin legend. I'm splitting my system and moving part of it to the new
biz space (2 408MLX card, the 012 analog card, the 7.0 CPU board and the
power supply with the ring generator). Going to take the Audix box to the
shop also. Also looking in to these new Cisco 816s? I forget the model #,
but its a $180 dual port VOIP unit. It is like, a dream come true as far
as rouge cheap VoIP networks.

I'd like to network the Merlin Legend at home to the one at the shop via
VoIP units, but I don't think it will be possible, I will just have to
select an outside line hooked to the Cisco then hit a programmed macro to
dial the IP address or something wierd.

PS. I have the vendor 7.0 Merlin LEgend upgrade card if anyone would like
a hit. :-)

				-- Ethan