[geeks] Rant: Network "Industry Leaders" That Don't.

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Wed May 1 13:04:39 CDT 2002

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 11:11:24AM -0700, Fogg, James wrote:
> heart. I have some respect for their telco switchgear, but I'd say I like
> Nortel DMS100's a whole lot better.

oh good, more phone geeks.  i thought i might have been the only one. ;)

granted, i've been out of the phone game for over 5 years now, so i'm a little
out of date, but woo! those Nortel phone switches were sweet.  couldn't say that
at work though cause i worked for Lucent. ;)

> You would probably do better by telling the *people-with-checkbooks* to bite
> the bullet and start over. If you beat the network into performing one more
> task for now, it will still be broken and even harder to fix later. That
> makes you just as much an ass (in the eyes of the *people-with-checkbooks*)
> as the people to fscked it up in the first place. If they don't agree, at
> least they can't say you didn't warn them and the idiots who originated this
> bastard-net will remain in the blame. At least this is what I have learned
> from hard experience. You need the *people-with-checkbooks* to see you

it's called covering your ass.  it's a Very Good Thing(TM) to do when you deal
with contract work.  you take blame for your mistakes, but you make damn sure
you don't get blamed for anyone elses mistakes.

> wearing your red cape and tights (hero mode).

you mean i can't wear the tights in non-hero mode?  but i _like_ wearing the
tights.  ;)

-brian
--
Whoops, nevermind...  the compile just imploded, crashing the xterm it was
running in as well...  Thanks, Richard...              -- George Adkins --