[geeks] what do you do when you have a memory leak?

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed May 1 10:31:24 CDT 2002

[ On Wednesday, May 1, 2002 at 10:12:13 (-0400), alex j avriette wrote: ]
> Subject: [geeks] what do you do when you have a memory leak?
>
> So. Our DBA comes to one of our Sysadmins today (unfortunately not me, I
> wish I could have been there), and says "$box is using too much ram
> right now and Oracle says it thinks there is a memory leak. Clearly the
> ram in that box is bad, and we should take down $otherproductionserver
> and replace the ram in $box with the other ram."
>
> *mutter*

double-*mutter*!

If Oracle thinks there's a bloody memory leak in their stupid $DB they
why the hell don't they find and fix it!

Otherwise put the database users on notice that there will be a rotating
schedule of outages due to buggy commercial software that's
unsupportable and restart the database via cron or something.

--
								Greg A. Woods