[geeks] what do you do when you have a memory leak?

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Wed May 1 09:31:22 CDT 2002

alex j avriette wrote:

> So. Our DBA comes to one of our Sysadmins today (unfortunately not me, I
> wish I could have been there), and says "$box is using too much ram
> right now and Oracle says it thinks there is a memory leak. Clearly the
> ram in that box is bad, and we should take down $otherproductionserver
> and replace the ram in $box with the other ram."

What would *I* do?
"Thanks, I'll look into it.  Be aware that I will not be bringing down
any other production boxes to troubleshoot this one."

Hrm, that's not as effective without the terse tone and the menacing
scowl though...

--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com
Editor: "We need a new food critic, someone who doesn't immediately
poo-poo everything he eats."
Homer: "Naw, that usually takes a few hours."