[geeks] G1's and other mainframey goodness Was

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed May 1 06:34:56 CDT 2002

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 09:21:29PM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> Simply put, we just ran out of cash, and it doesn't look like the VCs
> want to help out.  It sucks big time as we have a $750k contract coming
> up with $major_EU_telco and we're practically a shoe-in.  Fucking
> investors can't see past the next five minutes.

Same happened with my last employers.  We had an eight-figure contract
with Euskatel and the Spanish and Basque governments, needed funding to
ramp up hardware production, ...

> The company has had a very good run - we never burned money at a fast
> rate, and we all had a load of fun.

Same for us.  We were actually profitable on each individual installation,
had a working product, and had a full order book.

> What truly sucks is that there were a few good deals on the table, and
> this deal with $major_EU_telco could have floated us (as we currently
> are) for about another 18 months.  Feh!

What really pisses *me* off is that there are now - a year later - several
companies hawking the exact same service that we were, with the same
commercial partner (SES Astra).  We developed and tested the concept and
the hardware, they're making money from it.

--
David Cantrell    |    Reprobate    |    http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

   Lefties are usually well-intentioned at least, and possess
   a far greater command of grammar and spelling.
      -- Noel, in soc.history.what-if