[geeks] rent and why it never goes down

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Sat Mar 30 20:47:40 CST 2002

<rant readability="if you say so" relevance="none at all">

so my lease here at my apartment is up at the end of may (the 28th to be
exact), and i got a note from the mgmt today explaining they needed to
know 60 days in advance whether i had planned to vacate (that would mean
"by monday"). i had been thinking of moving back to san diego (im in
DC), as I'm unhappy with the east coast, and unhappy with the place i'm
living. the apartment is real nice, but at the price i pay (quite a
bit), i would expect the management and other staff of the building to
be less surly. so i'm not really happy here, but im weighing my want to
_not move_ against my want to live somewhere i'm happy. to make matters
worse, i've got a job offer (im currently working but looking), but it's
pending a secret clearance, which i'm told will take six weeks.

ugh! and my lease here is going up $40 (2%) if i sign on for a year
lease (with a $300 penalty for breaking it), or $200 (10%) if i decide
to go month-to-month!

im not making more money than i was a year ago, housing prices in DC
have gone *down* substantially (planes falling out of the sky
dontchakno), and i cant possibly see how their expenses have gone up
that much. this reeks of "they got you where they want you."

why cant they just offer me my apartment at the rate ive been paying for
it?

how do these people sleep at night knowing theyre taking advantage of
people?

*rargh*

</rant>

im going to go cry somewhere.