[geeks] Fwd: [Incident 020324-000029] unroutable traffic bein g passed to my nameserver

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Sat Mar 30 07:13:50 CST 2002

I am finding that a lot of providers are using private ip space. It is
unfortunate and dangerous for their users, but its happening.

As a rule, I always acl private ip space for a number of reasons. Usually, I
use private ip's, so it prevents spoofing and other problems.

As for their claim of router load, there is a small grain of truth to it.
Your particular acl won't load their routers much, but they operate by
policy, so if they do it for your they might be affraid they'll end up doing
it for everyone (a big problem). The golden rule of routing is to keep your
acl's as short as possible, as they can be a huge cpu load if they are using
cisco-style extended acl's.

Its a very simple deal to acl private ip space in your router and that
solves the problem.
James Fogg, Network Engineer
Vicinity Corporation - New Hampshire
(603) 442-1751