[geeks] Re: First ones

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Fri Mar 29 08:24:05 CST 2002

Well the first machine that I ever used UNIX on was a DEC machine in the
early '80s. I seem to recall it was a PDP/11 running some hacked together
UNIX but it may have been a VAX. This was followed by a long string of
accounts with colleges and scientific institutes etc... etc...  mostly
running on DEC hardware with the occaisonal competing brand mini or summat.

The first machine I owned that ran a UNIX like operating system was a
frankenstein Intel clone that I built to run both DOS and SCO. I got pretty
tired with it and stuck an early version of slackware on it, then the first
publicly available redhat. Im guessing that was 93 but I dont remember
exactly.

The first machine I actually owned specifically to run UNIX was an IBM PPC
based system that I bought from my college in late 1994. I can't remember
the model number but it was a large white desktop, had a cdrom, 3d graphics,
good sound,  and ran some variant of AIX. It was my first experience with
CDE as well. We used them to do our ADA and FORTRAN programming assignments,
and for CFD work with the schools custom built Massivley Paralell DEC
machine (yes, it was very big, very cool, and the room would have hit 150 if
it werent for the air conditioner the size of a volkswagon). I also bought
an Indy from the school when they decided they needed Octanes.

The first SUN machine I ever owned was only about two years ago, an Ultra 1
200e, but I've been working on SUN since the early 90's or very late 80's. I
dont remember the date or the machine (I never saw it, I had dialup shell
access only) but it was running SunOS 3.

Chris Byrne