[geeks] Mailing list software.

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Mar 28 11:05:42 CST 2002

On March 27, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
> > I believe the odd thing here is that BIND8 was out and stable before OpenBSD
> > ever forked.
>
> Define "stable" though.  Doesn't crash?  Or "most security bugs worked out"?

  "stable" in this case means "good enough for the root nameservers".
There are some pretty security-conscious folk in that community as well.

> It may have been out long enough to be considered safe to work with, but
> if you were a rabid security nut (which most OBSD developers are), then
> you may hold back longer because the new features introduce new potential
> security compromises that aren't well understood.
>
> "Cool" features can often be abused in ways that were never envisioned...

  I agree 100%, and I generally believe in risk vs. consequence
planning...but in this case, 4 was so bad, and 8 was so much better,
that there really wasn't any choice.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                    "...it's leaving me this unpleasant,
St. Petersburg, FL                 damp feeling on my shorts..." -Sridhar