[geeks] Argh.

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Mar 27 21:54:11 CST 2002

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 10:43:15PM -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
<snip>
> And my bloody windows machines goes south.  Apparently the CD-ROM, the only
> good one I have ('cept for the plextor from Mike N), died.  I was keyed to
> there being a problem by the lack of CD icon when I needed to get a file off
> of a CD.  And now when I went to reboot it won't get past the Bios testing
> the drives.  This drive was working last night.  Darn it, darn it, darn it.
>
> Now I have to pull this stupid machine out of the stack and open it up and
> hope it is a simple fix.  Otherwise I'm screwed.
<snip>

I opened the machine up and found that the power connect connected to the
CD-ROM, the two middle pins (grounds) had become disconnected.  No idea
how that could have happened.  Wasn't that way when I put the machine together
a month or so ago. I taped off the loose pins, and switched the CD-ROM to a
new power jack.  Blech.  POS machine.

--
Joshua D. Boyd