[geeks] Massively parallel... cheap?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sun Mar 24 15:01:41 CST 2002

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 03:49:20PM -0500, Sridhar the POWERful wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, David Passmore wrote:
>
> > The entire set will have to be processed at once.
> >
> > Basically what I'm looking for is some input on the most cost-effective
> > multi-processor solutions that I can cluster together with the highest
> > integer performance. I cannot afford to use a machine that has significant
> > vector processing capabilities (although it would help). Are there 4-proc+
> > Pentium Pro motherboards out there cheap?
>
> Motherboards?  Not really.  But IBM PC Server 704's are coming pretty
> cheap on eBay.

Quad xeons aren't too unreasonable.  There are a bunch of Intel ones on ebay.
Minus CPUs, they look like they are going to be going 3-4 hundred a piece.
One might be able to pull of buying and loading them for under $1k, meaning
that the whole machine (minus switches and extra NICs) could be $16k.

--
Joshua D. Boyd