[geeks] I'm bored

Tom Borton tborton at usa.net
Sat Mar 23 18:25:49 CST 2002

> they are an NT shop...what gets me are the ones that say MUST have a
> Computer Science degree... ? ERM... for a sysadmin position?... for
> NT?... erm nope durr... you [employers] don't know what you're looking

> for.)

Working for a US defense contractor, I can tell you that, if you're
staffing a position that may end up on a defense contract, you have to
staff it with a  college graduate.  Most likely, employers looking for
admins with a degree are going to put them on a defense contract.

In a lot of cases of outrageous spending, it's a matter of the gov't
specifying unrealistic requirements rather than the contractor milking a
contract.  I've seen contracts where the screws have to be manufactured
with a thread separation within 1 um (micrometer) of spec.  Home Depot
doesn't sell them at that spec., or at least doesn't certify it, so the
contractor has to spend money making or verifying screws.

Fscking suits.

Tom