[geeks] Zip disks

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Mar 22 18:26:43 CST 2002

On March 22, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> Actually, I thought it had something to do with the lack of excitement about
> the old 40 iomega drives that didn't manage to do anything other than get
> used by art people.

  *bzzt* Nope, the earlier Iomega Bernoulli drives were (and are) VERY
extensively used in the defense industry.  That industry loves 'em
because you can throw them in a safe, and they tend to be a lot more
reliable than all but the very best removable hard drive canisters.
They're immensely popular in those places.

  I worked at a couple of defense contractors many years ago...according
to some folks who are still working at one of them (TRW Space &
Defense) they're still buying 40mb and 90mb Bernoulli drives *new*.
The facility in which I worked still has HUNDREDS of them in
operation...more drives than people in the building.

        -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                    "Watch those lateral G's man,
St. Petersburg, FL               I've got sandwiches in my lap!" -Sridhar