Overclocking a Crimson? (Was: RE: [geeks] OK success almost)

Corda Albert J DLVA CordaAJ at NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Fri Mar 22 17:30:40 CST 2002

I've always been tempted to try overclocking the CPU in a Crimson...
has anyone here ever tried fiddling with it? I know that you can
upgrade a 100Mhz to a 150 Mhz,
(see http://www.gisparks.tas.gov.au/sgi/r4400/r4400board.html )
This would would indicate to me that the CPU subsystem is clocked
independently from the other subsystems on the CPU board (a
technique that SGI used on a number of their systems).
It might be possible to boost the clock of a 150 up
to 180 or 200 Mhz (Although I'd be tempted to hack in a cooling
fan on the CPU heat sink :-)

-al-
-acorda at 1bigred.com