[geeks] thoughts on SMTP

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Fri Mar 22 16:39:00 CST 2002

[ On Friday, March 22, 2002 at 14:46:52 (-0600), Bill Bradford wrote: ]
> Subject: [geeks] thoughts on SMTP
>
> I installed mod_gzip.  Works *great*, has reduced my web bandwidth use a
> bit.  Why hasnt someone created something like this for email?  Could
> be a SMTP option, to gzip the mail streams on the fly...

Nope.

(of course you're welcome to try sending MIME BASE64 encoded Gzip'ed
messages :-)

(or if you happen to have another distribution point that's got more
available outbound bandwidth then you could use Batched-SMTP over UUCP
over SSH with compression somewhere in the stream to hop all your mail
in chunks to the distribution point)

--
								Greg A. Woods