[geeks] thoughts on SMTP

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Mar 22 14:59:06 CST 2002

On March 22, Bill Bradford wrote:
> I installed mod_gzip.  Works *great*, has reduced my web bandwidth use a

  Kick ass.  I'm interested in seeing your compression stats.

  Have you received any complaints about compatibility issues?  I know
there are a lot of curmudgeons out there who don't believe in
upgrading software...there might still be some non-HTTP1.1-compliant
weenies running around.

> bit.  Why hasnt someone created something like this for email?  Could
> be a SMTP option, to gzip the mail streams on the fly...

  This is a VERY interesting idea...

    -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                    "Watch those lateral G's man,
St. Petersburg, FL               I've got sandwiches in my lap!" -Sridhar