[geeks] Case for Router/NAT/thingy

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Fri Mar 22 13:59:24 CST 2002

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 01:33:57PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
>
> > Why?  The Netgear does DHCP as well.  I've got mine setup this way:

> 2 Whys.  First, DHCP and Bootp are already working, so why fix it if it ain't
> broke?

Heck, a third why.  Unless the Netgear has storage it keeps track of
DHCP leases on, a computer based DHCP is much more flexible.  The few
times I have had to reset the linksys, it forgets who had what.  Not
a biggie, but you also can't tell it to always give a certain address
to a certain MAC address, or some of the other fun DHCP things...

--Kurt