[geeks] Further info on Sol8 networking problem

Michael Schiller schiller at zaphod.agrijag.com
Fri Mar 22 16:10:17 CST 2002

Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> Yes well, I can't really argue with them about this till July at this point.
> Mid March through June are the busy time for Mom, and I keep trying to tell
> her never to make changes to her production system in the middle of this time,
> and so now that I want to make a change to a system she depends on, she is
> holding what I said against me.

Can't really blame them for this, it IS sound advice. A busy time is NOT the time
to make any changes. (even ones that will be better) If what they have now is
working, don't change it.

> a dedicated print/file server in their office, but they don't because
> they don't want linux (or NetBSD), and don't have room in that office to set
> up another moniter, keyboard, etc.  Sigh.

Get a Sparc Classic, LX or maybe even an IPX, connect it's 'A' serial port to an
available serial port on the PC, and run Solaris on it. I'm not arguing that
Solaris is better/worse/whatever compared to linux/bsd, etc., but it IS a
commercial product with a real company behind it, and it sounds like that matters
to them. There are lots of folks that think free=toy, but commercial product =
good. Any of those 'shoebox' systems would make a good print / file server. As for
NAT, are they using more than one computer on the internet? If so, it sounds like
you could possibly get them to buy a linksys or other commercial 'router', explain
that it will be much more reliable than what they're using now.

--
-Mike